Appliance Recycling Program
We’ll pick up your old refrigerator or freezer for FREE and give you $50!
While that old appliance in the basement or garage may provide additional storage, it’s not worth the additional cost on your electric bill. By recycling your old appliance, you can save up to $100 a year on your energy bill.
How the program works
Your appliance will be picked up at no charge from the address listed on your billing account. The $50 reward will be mailed to you within four weeks after pickup. Limit of 2 appliances per household per year. Program funding is limited. Rebate offers are subject to change - please check this webpage for updates. Participation will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Do I qualify?
- You must be a NIPSCO residential electric customer.
- You must own the refrigerator or freezer that is 10-30 cubic feet.
- Appliance must be in working (cooling) order.
- Appliance must be plugged in the night prior to pickup.
Schedule a FREE pickup today!
It’s easy! Schedule online by selecting the Schedule Your FREE Pickup Now button on the right, or call 877-341-2190
Why Recycling Matters
- Each old refrigerator or freezer requires an average of 700 to 1,600 kilowatt-hours (kwh) to operate annually.
- If a spare refrigerator used in a basement or garage is removed and not replaced, energy savings can amount to 1,200 kWh/year, with an average $100 reduction in annual electricity charges.*
- With NIPSCO's Appliance Recycling Program, more than 95 percent of the appliance is destroyed and recycled, preventing it from entering a landfill.
Looking to Recycle Other Electric Products?
Visit Energy Star to learn more about how to properly recyle your electric appliances and products.
*Actual energy and cost savings will vary by equipment model and region. These estimates are conservative and based on national averages (www.energystar.gov).