Public Safety 

Natural Gas Leak Emergencies

 

In its natural state, natural gas is odorless and colorless. For easier detection of gas leaks, NIPSCO adds a distinctive “rotten egg” scent to natural gas. If you notice this odor, immediately take the following actions:
  1. Do NOT light matches, turn electrical switches on or off, or use a telephone in the building
  2. If you smell gas inside your home or business, get out immediately.
  3. From a safe place, call NIPSCO to report the leak at our emergency number 1-800-634-3524 24 hours a day.
  4. Remain outside until NIPSCO can send someone to check on the source of the odor
In addition to calling NIPSCO to report a gas leak, it is required by state law to contact 811 to report any damage to our facilities, as well as, 911 if there is a release of gas.

When You Smell Gas Outside

  1. If you suspect a leak outside, turn off and abandon any motorized equipment you might be using
  2. Leave the area quickly
  3. Warn others to stay away from the area  
  4. Remain outside until NIPSCO can send someone to check on the source of the odor
  5. An odor of gas outside your home should be reported just as you would report an inside odor. Gas leaks from service lines could migrate into your home through walls or drain lines.

What NOT to Do

  • Light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc.
  • Open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate
  • Try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves

Detecting a Gas Leak

Since natural gas is colorless and odorless, NIPSCO adds a harmless, non-toxic chemical that makes it easier to detect a gas leak before it can create a hazardous situation. The chemical, called mercaptan, smells a lot like rotten eggs.