NIPSCO Luminary Awards
Introduced in 2012, in celebration of NIPSCO's 100-year anniversary, the Luminary Awards were created to honor leaders and organizations for their outstanding commitment to strengthening local communities.
These individuals or groups have demonstrated outstanding commitment in five key areas: Community Leadership, Education, Environmental Stewardship, Economic Development and Public Safety.
In addition to recognizing the winners for being a positive force in our communities, NIPSCO will make a $1,000 contribution to each winner’s charity of choice.
Winners of the 2015 NIPSCO Luminary Awards
Community Leadership Award: Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson, City of Gary
Education Award: Starke County Initiative for Lifelong Learning
Environmental Stewardship Award: Porter County Career and Technical Center
Economic Development Award: Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership
Public Safety-Tri-Town Safety Village
Past Recipients of the NIPSCO Luminary Awards
- Community Leadership:Mayor Jon Costas, City of Valparaiso
- Education:Michigan City Area Schools
- Environmental Stewardship:South Shore Clean Cities
- Economic Development: John Davies, Society of Innovators of Northwest Indiana
- Public Safety: The City of Kokomo's Emergency Response Team
- Community Leadership: William Nangle, The Times of Northwest Indiana
- Education: Linda Woloshansky, The Center of Workforce Innovations
- Environmental Stewardship:Goshen College
- Economic Development:Holladay Properties
- Public Safety: Michigan City Police and Fire Departments
Education: Chancellor James Dworkin, Purdue University North Central
Environmental Stewardship: Mayor Keith Solderquist, City of Lake Station
Public Safety: Howard Buchanon, South Bend Fire Department