Have a qualified professional check your natural gas appliance venting

Each year, have a qualified professional inspect your natural gas appliances for proper venting and an adequate supply of fresh air, especially appliances located in enclosed spaces like closets or utility rooms. Make sure the exhaust and vent are in good repair and are not clogged or blocked. A qualified professional will also look to ensure they are not showing signs of deterioration like rust, cracks or holes. Without proper venting, combustion gas can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. 


Be sure your venting is sized appropriately for your home or business. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for more information on proper sizing and how to safely operate your gas appliances.

To ensure your gas appliances are installed correctly, have a qualified professional complete the installation for you.


At least once a year, check to make sure vents and chimneys are free of debris, such as birds' nests, leaves and fallen bricks and ensure the opening is covered with a cap.

Natural gas logs and natural gas space heaters

Operating natural gas space heaters and natural gas logs without sufficient fresh air can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Therefore, it is necessary to provide fresh air to these appliances anytime they are operating.

Some ventless natural gas space heaters or natural gas logs should not be installed in certain rooms. Make sure a qualified professional follows proper installation procedures for your natural gas logs or natural gas space heaters. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions, and never cover any openings or alter a natural gas space heater in any way.

More safety tips
Contractor performing maintenance on a natural gas furnace

Care for Your Appliances

Your appliances need regular care. Get quick tips about maintaining your appliances.

Read the Tips

Family eating breakfast in kitchen together

Safe Appliance Installation

Get installation tips for common natural gas appliances and find a contractor to help with your installation.

Learn More

Mother and daughter by fireplace

Carbon Monoxide

We care about your safety, and it’s important for you to know the risks of carbon monoxide.

Learn More

Have an emergency?

Natural Gas: If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, have carbon monoxide symptoms or have some other gas emergency situation, go outside and call 911 and then our emergency number 1-800-634-3524.
Electric: For any electric emergency, including a downed power line, power outage or other electric-related situation, please call 1-800-464-7726.