We are required to conduct regular routine maintenance inspections and testing of our natural gas meters and piping to ensure proper system operation and public safety.
Our meter inspections are completed by NIPSCO subcontractors Utility Resource Group (URG) and RECONN. During your appointment, the technician will perform a leak inspection and a visual corrosion inspection of your meter. The inspection will take approximately 10 minutes. There is no charge for this inspection.
If you have received a communication about scheduling an appointment to complete your meter inspection, please contact:
Your safety is important to us. Please be advised that URG and RECONN technicians carry photo identification, wear uniforms and drive marked vehicles.
Common reasons we could not access your gas meter:
- Blocked gas meters: stacked objects, barriers, affixed covers, structures and/or any obstruction limiting 360 degree access to your gas meter may prevent us from inspecting your meter.
- Pets: Pets roaming free or tethered in the area surrounding the gas meter will prevent us from inspecting your meter. At a minimum, there must be a solid and continuous barrier, such as a fence, between our technician and your animal(s) during the inspection. It is preferable for your pet(s) be indoors during the meter inspection.
- An adult may need to be home: If we need assistance accessing your meter, someone over the age of 18 years must be present.
- A locked gate and/or a solid fence
- Solid ice covering the meter and/or compact snow may prevent us from inspecting your meter.