You can generate your own electricity from renewable energy to offset your individual usage each month. We install one meter capable of measuring energy you are consuming as well as measuring the amount you are generating. If you generate more than what you need, you’ll receive energy credits that can be applied to future usage. Please note, availability is limited.
- Must be an existing electric customer
- Must be wind, solar or hydroelectric projects
- Credit is applied to your bill, offsets individual usage
- Supports generation projects up to 1 megawatt (MW)
- Interconnection and Net Metering agreement are required
- You’re responsible for infrastructure upgrades and installation costs
- You’re responsible for maintenance of the generating device and interconnection wiring
Install or connect your equipment
The following information will help you with the interconnection process. The level and type of interconnection will vary with the type of customer and the size of the generator.
Research the interconnection process to understand all requirements (including potential municipal restrictions, building and zoning requirements, insurance requirements, safety regulations, application fees, installation, electrical requirements and more).
- Net Metering Engineering Standard - Requirements and guidelines for interconnection of customer owned, Distributed Resource (DR) generation source, to NIPSCO’s electric system.
- Rider 780 - Net Metering – Rate schedules and other information regarding requirements.
- Rider 779 - Interconnection Standards – Information about interconnection requirements, fees and standards.
- Indiana Administrative Code Rule 4 - Instructions for cogeneration and alternate energy production facilities.
Email completed applications to cnb@NiSource.com or mail printed applications to 801 E. 86th Avenue, Attention: New Business, Merrillville, IN 46410.
10kW and below
There is no application fee for Level 1.
Greater than 10kW
Level 2 application (>10kW to 2 MW) has a non-refundable fee of $50.00 and $1.00 per kW and must be submitted with the application. Level 3 application (>2MW) has a non-refundable fee of $100 plus a $2 per kW and must be submitted with the applications.
We review your application and provide next steps. A technical review is conducted to determine if the project can move forward, or if an additional study is needed to determine the impact to the broader electric distribution system. This additional study may be required before moving to the next step.
Approvals and construction
Once all approvals are complete, construction begins on your project.
You sign applicable agreements. When agreements are complete, a new meter is installed.
We understand that the interconnection process can be complex, but we’re here to help. If you have any questions about the process, or other questions related to renewable energy, please contact cnb@NiSource.com.