Is there an outage in my neighborhood?
There are no gas outages reported at this time. Should an outage occur, our crews will work to restore service to you as quickly as possible.
If you think there may be an outage in your area, please contact us at 1-800-634-3524.
What causes an outage?
Natural gas outages can occur when gas lines are damaged or when work is being done in your area. Should an outage occur, we’ll take the following steps to ensure your safety:
- Shut off service. Our crews will shut off gas service for all customers in the affected area.
- Complete repairs. We will make necessary repairs on the natural gas main and service lines.
- Restore service. We will visit each customer's home to perform a safety check and restore natural gas service.
Your safety is important to us
To ensure quick and safe restoration after an outage, please note the following:
- Our crew will need access into every impacted home or business to conduct safety checks and restore service.
- An adult (18 years or older) must be present to allow our employees to restore service. If you need to leave your home, please leave your contact information with a neighbor or on your door.
- Keep your porch light on until your gas service is back on. It helps our crews determine if your gas service is on or off from the road.
- Our employees and representatives carry a photo ID and will be happy to show it to you upon request.
- If it’s cold enough that pipes are in danger of freezing, leave cold water dripping from your faucets. Just a little bit of water trickling will help prevent freezing.
See how we restore service after an outage
While you're using hot water, cooking and warming your home, we're working behind the scenes to provide you safe and reliable service. While we make every effort to minimize interruptions, they can happen and temporarily leave you without service. Sometimes these outages are planned and sometimes they're unplanned. For planned work, we'll try to notify you in advance about outages, which are a necessary and important part of upgrading our system and general maintenance. During an unplanned outage, we are committed to keeping you informed. Please check your email, our website or social media accounts for updates. Remember to keep your contact information current so we can reach you. Unfortunately, restoring service isn't as simple as flipping a switch. First, our technicians must go meter-to-meter to temporarily shut off service at each home or business. Then, we'll complete repairs and restore the flow of natural gas in our system. Next, our technicians will go door-to-door to restore service to each customer. All NIPSCO employees and contractors wear a company-issued ID badge with their photo on it. We'll need clear access inside your home to perform a safety check of your natural gas appliances. We complete these inspections because of our commitment to safety, so do not attempt to restore natural gas service on your own. We'll continue to make repeated visits through the area until service is restored to all customers. With any work, challenges may arise and we may not be able to restore service. If this happens, we'll notify you and explain the next steps. Please note, if one of your appliances fails our safety check, we cannot relight it. And, we cannot restore to your home or business if we find a leak in your piping. If you're not home when we come to restore your service, we'll leave a tag behind prompting you to call us to schedule your safety inspection and service restoration as soon as possible. We want to keep you safe and warm, so we'll make every effort to restore your service as quickly as possible.
If you have special needs or medical concerns regarding an outage, please contact us at 1-800-634-3524.