Call 811 Two Days Before you Dig
Planning a home improvement job? Planting a tree? Installing a fence, deck or mailbox? Before you begin, smart digging means calling 811 before each job. By law, anyone planning to excavate is required to dial 811 at least two full working days before work begins.
Whether you're planning an excavation as part of a landscaping project or building a deck or addition to your home, avoid property damage, personal injury, and possible fines by contacting the one-call notification service before you start to dig. Call 811 Before You Dig service will notify all utilities to mark the approximate location of underground service lines that might be in the construction area at no cost to residential customers.
Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get their utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call. The depth of utility lines varies and there may be multiple utility lines in a common area. Digging without calling can disrupt service to an entire neighborhood, harm you and those around you and potentially result in fines and repair costs.
You May Qualify to Win!
For a limited time, NIPSCO customers who take the important step to contact 811 will be entered for one of four chances to win a gift card for $811 to a home improvement store. Winners will be selected on September 8, 2015. Eligible participants who call or request online to have their utilities located within the NIPSCO service area qualify to win. No purchase necessary. Legitimate locate requests only, please. Official sweepstakes rules.
Make the Toll-Free Call to 811
- Always call 811 before digging, regardless of the depth or familiarity with the property.
- Tell neighbors, co-workers, family and friends about 811 if they discuss their plans for an outdoor home improvement project with you.
- Plan ahead – Indiana 811 is always open. Just make sure you call at least two working days in advance of your project start date.
- Avoid starting projects until you’re sure all lines are marked. If you’re unsure, confirm that all lines have been marked by contacting Indiana 811.
- Choose another location on the property for a project if the original planned site is near utility line markings.
- If your excavation is within two feet of the marked facility, you must only use hand tools with extreme caution.
- If a contractor has been hired, confirm that a call to 811 has been made. Don’t allow work to begin if the lines aren’t marked.