Impersonators and Scams
Most NIPSCO employees drive clearly marked vehicles that are easy to identify and wear NIPSCO branded uniforms. Be alert to people who try to pass themselves off as gas company personnel or who claim to offer a NIPSCO refund. NIPSCO employees NEVER deliver cash refunds, rebates, or collect money at customers' homes -- all account transactions are handled electronically or through the mail.
Our employees and contractors carry photo identification and will gladly show it upon request. Ask to see it before allowing anyone who claims to be a utility representative into your home. If you are still unsure after seeing the ID, please call our 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-4NIPSCO (1-800-464-7726) to confirm that the person at your door is one of our employees or contractors. Be sure to report any suspicious activity to the police.
Helpful Reminders to Keep Customers Safe from Scams and Identity Theft
Potential threats or scams can appear in a variety of forms, including phone calls and e-mails. By following some of these simple tips below, customers can help avoid being the victim of a scam.
- Never give personal information, including Social Security numbers and banking information, to unconfirmed sources. NIPSCO only asks for a Social Security number when a customer is applying for new service.
- NIPSCO never asks for customers who are behind on payments to purchase a prepaid debit card to avoid disconnection. Customers have the following payment options: online, by phone, by mail or in person at one of NIPSCO’s authorized payment locations.
- If you believe you have been the victim of a scam, contact 911 as well as your local banking institution or credit card company if applicable.
- If you are unsure about the legitimacy of any e-mail, phone call, programs or offers claiming to be affiliated with NIPSCO, please call our 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-4NIPSCO (1-800-464-7726).
- Legitimate bill assistance programs are available to qualifying customers. For more information on these offerings, visit NIPSCO.com/PaymentAssistance.
- An overview of NIPSCO’s payment options are available at NIPSCO.com under “Billing & Payment.”