It's our responsibility to make sure you always have electricity and natural gas there when you need it, but we also want to ensure that we're providing service to you in an environmentally responsible way. Learn more about our sustainability efforts on NiSource.com.
CCR rule compliance data and information
What you can do
- Green Power: Choose to designate a portion or your entire monthly electric bill to power generated by renewable sources including wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and hydroelectric power.
- Energy efficiency programs: Lowering your bill, becoming more energy efficient and conserving natural resources is made easier with our variety of programs aimed at helping all customers start saving today.
- Renewable energy projects: Do you own or plan to purchase a source of renewable energy? If so, you may be eligible to sell the power you generate back to NIPSCO through our Net Metering and Feed-in Tariff Programs
- Electric vehicles: Find a public charging station near you and other helpful resources.
What we're doing
We continue to improve our environmental impact by reducing emissions, coal ash generated, and water withdrawal. We operate a diverse portfolio of electric generation that includes wind and hydroelectric power, and our generation strategy integrates further environmental improvements by the year 2025. We have also recently invested more than $800 million in new technologies for our coal-fired units to improve air and water quality.
- Schahfer Generating Station Unit 15 SNCR NOx Reduction (2012)
- Upgraded Schahfer Sewage Treatment Plant (2012)
- Schahfer Units 14 & 15 Flue Gas Desulfurization and Wastewater Treatment Plant (2013-2014)
- Mercury Removal at Schahfer and Michigan City Generating Stations (2016)
- Michigan City Unit 12 Dry Flue Gas Desulfurization and Fabric Filter Baghouse (2016)
Ecological Restoration and Conservation Efforts
We are a major partner with and supporter of environmental organizations in our state, which has resulted in the restoration and preservation of thousands of acres of wetlands, plants, and animals. Additionally, we have been recognized as a Tree Line USA Utility since 1993.
Improving Air Quality
We continue to make progress in reducing emissions and improving air quality. Learn about what we’re doing in our Integrated Annual Report.
NiSource Environmental Action Team (NEAT)
Originally formed by NIPSCO employees and now expanded to NiSource’s other operating companies, NEAT’s mission is to promote and facilitate recreational and education opportunities with a focus on environmental conservation and sustainability.